With the latest food trends and mesmerizing social media baking videos, healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring. Healthy snacks and meals can be quick, easy and budget-friendly. Plus, eating well can help you feel better and have more energy. It can even prevent or help manage many common chronic conditions. Small improvements every day can make a lasting impact for you and generations to come!
eating can be exciting, especially with the latest food trends and fun to watch baking
videos online. Eating well can help you feel better and have more energy. It
may prevent or help manage many common chronic conditions. Even small changes
can improve your health. Plus, healthy snacks and meals can be quick and
Click on the resources below to learn more about healthy eating and ways to track food intake. Most importantly, talk kindly to yourself as you are making changes to your diet or eating patterns. Food is complicated and linked to memories, feelings, community, culture, and even how we cope with stress. Start with small changes. Don’t fixate on the scale. Focus on how you FEEL not how you look. People can be strong, healthy, fit, and happy at many sizes. Making healthy eating choices can be easier if you do it with a friend / roommate or partner. That way you can help each other.
Your body is strong and capable of so many things! This resource provides a daily calorie recommendation based on gender, age, height, current weight and individual activity level. Remember, these are simply general guidelines, not strict numbers to follow. Be kind to your body and fuel it well.
Discover your Body Mass Index (BMI) using this calculator. BMI measures body fat based off height and weight. Generally, we consider BMI within the following categories:
- Underweight < 18.8
- Normal weight = 18.5 – 24.9
- Overweight = 25-29.9
- Obesity = 30 or greater
Your BMI is simply an indicator and potential benchmark that can be helpful. Remember that everyBODY is different and body diversity deserves to be celebrated. Everyone deserves the same level of respect and self-care. Take care of yourself with compassion and gentleness. Numbers do not have power over you, you are worthy!
Not sure where to begin? Read these eight healthy eating goals.
- MyPlate offers personalized eating plans based on the dietary guidelines for Americans. There are interactive tools to personalize recommendations based on what you need.
- MyFitnessPal is a free app that allows you to enter exact foods and recipes in a daily log. The app provides information about the number of calories you are eating and shows you the balance of fat/protein/carbohydrates each day.
- Fooducate is a free app that lets you scan product barcodes so you can shop, compare, and select healthy items while grocery shopping.
- ChooseMyPlate helps you make smart choices with your grocery budget in mind. This includes ways to plan weekly meals and tips for every aisle.
- Eating Well, Tasty and Delish create short videos that show on how to make healthy recipes with simple ingredients. Easy to follow and share!
- Minimalist Baker shares recipes that require 10 ingredients or less, 1 bowl, or 30 minutes or less to prepare.
- Learn about nutrition and healthy eating. You’ll find in-depth recommendations and tips for planning, buying, storing, and eating healthy foods.
Don’t forget hydration! Drink plenty of water to feel well. Dehydration can lead to unclear thinking, mood change, constipation and other troubles. Here are some good facts about drinking water.
Interested in Getting Pregnant? Focus on eating a variety of foods. If your weight is in the BMI category of obese, you might have trouble getting pregnant and could be at risk for some pregnancy-related problems. Talk with your provider. If you are thinking of starting a family within the year, click to learn why you should be supplementing your diet with Folic Acid.